Executive Council Meeting
08 November 2012
The Executive Council held its fortnightly meeting at Mbombela Local Municipality in the Ehlanzeni district on 07 November 2012.
Writing of final matriculation results
The MEC for Education Regina Mhaule gave a brief status quo of the current situation in relation to the learners writing their final matriculation results. She indicated that since learners started writing their exams on 22 October 2012 everything is running smooth. Where minor challenges arose, they did not go beyond the capacity of the plan B mechanism established during the planning phase. She went to state that Malusi who overseer the exams has rated Mpumalanga as the best province in relation to managing the matriculation exams this year.
Executive Council Lekgotla Resolutions
The provincial government under the leadership of Premier DD Mabuza recently held its Executive Council Lekgotla and among several resolutions the EXCO approved the following:
- The House-holding Profiling Plan of the department of social development (DSD). The department should consult municipalities in regard to profiling of wards. This should include the DSD categorizing households in terms of their different levels of vulnerability. This must be given sustainable support.
- The department of social development should canvass and prioritise the establishment of the early childhood development (ECD) Training Institute which will be used to provide solutions to ECD challenges
- The Premier, MEC & HOD for Health and DG should visit all 34 hospitals in the Province as a matter of urgency to assess and take decisions to bring hospitals to minimal levels of functionality. Macro Policy should be part of the visit to provide scientific assessment of the functionality of provincial hospitals
- The department of health should involve the House of Traditional Leaders in addressing the challenges of HIV/Aids, particularly with issues of male circumcision. In pursuance of this matter the department must convene a meeting with the House of Traditional Leaders aimed at finding a joint solution in fighting the scourge of HIV and AIDS
Presentation of audit outcomes
The Auditor General (AG) Terence Nombembe presented to EXCO an analysis of the audit outcomes of 2011-12 in preparation for Operation Clean Audit 2014. He commended the provincial government for a relatively positive audit outcomes report for 2011-12 and congratulated the OTP for leading by example in obtaining clean audits and invited the department of cooperative government and traditional affairs (COGTA) to join the club as the leader of municipalities. The AG emphasized on an agreement reached earlier on to improve the situation. These include regular monthly reports to validate financial reports; the establishment of highly efficient audit committees to validate and support frontline teams; key senior management vacant positions must be filled with urgency and there must be regular interface of audit committees with the executive council and legislature on internal controls.
The PSC Commissioner
The Public Service Commission Commissioner – Mpumalanga Regional Office, Mr MD Mkhwanazi briefed the EXCO on the work it has done thus far with the provincial government. He commended the province on the following achievements; HODs have filled their performance agreements with the PSC; similarly the province has filled financial disclosures forms; Mpumalanga is at an advanced stage in terms of HODs evaluations – these include 2009, 2010, 2011 which were all completed and the evaluation for 2012 is about to commence.
Database for all early childhood centers (ECD) in the province
EXCO noted progress made in the establishment of a credible database for all early childhood centers (ECD) in the province. ECDs have been identified as one of the Apex priorities of government. The current profile of ECD profile in the province reflects that a minimal number of children are reached in terms of ECD services. To date 1317 ECDs have been profiled; 59817 children and 3229 practitioners have been captured.
Introduction of the Mpumalanga Provincial Language Bill 2012
The EXCO approved the introduction of the Mpumalanga Provincial Language Bill 2012 in the provincial legislature. The Bill was published in the provincial Government Gazette and other publications for public comments. Only three comments were received. The Constitution allows national and provincial governments to use any of the official languages for the purpose of government.
EXCO approved the following appointments:
- Mr. TA Varghese as director internal audits in the department of education
- Ms NR Mahlalela as director; macro policy and planning in the Office of the Premier and
- Mr. JM Mkhatshwa as director Ehlanzeni district offices in the department of human settlement
Issued by Office of the Premier Mpumalanga Provincial Government