Cabinet Statement - 12 October 2011
In the meeting held on 12 October 2011, the Executive Council processed the following issue
The Executive Council approved the final resolutions of Executive Council Lekgotla held on 7-9 September 2011. The resolutions identified the following areas of improvement in order to meet its annual targets:
- The Province must begin to incorporate Comprehensive Rural Development Programmes (CRDP) into the Local Economic Development plans of municipalities and vice versa. Cooperatives should be made the anchor of all rural development initiatives, since it has proven through the CRDP pilots even at its early state, to be an effective tool in the facilitation of the rapid creation of jobs and sustainable livelihood at a local level and the rallying point for local people.
- Payments of municipal debts must be prioritized by all provincial and national departments, while using this to identify municipalities with weak billing systems and put in place mechanisms to assist them to improve their billing systems.
- There must be the implementation of revenue generation and cost recovery mechanisms to enhance financial viability of municipalities.
- The Department of Agriculture, Rural Development and Land Administration (DARDLA) is to establish a fresh produce market in the province within the current fiscal year
The Department of Cooperative Government and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) and the Provincial Treasury must put up a team to assist municipalities to achieve clean audits by 2014 and to put cost curtailment measures.
Indonesia Outbound Mission Report
The EXCO noted the report of the Indonesia Outbound Mission Report on July 8-17 2011 led by Mr. Norman Mokoena MEC for Economic Development, Environment and Tourism (DEDET). The visit was sanctioned by the Executive council to explore commonalities that the province had with Indonesia, flowing from a desktop investigation that indicated a number of opportunities that could be of benefit to the province. Indonesia is becoming one of the top 7 growing developing countries. The delegation, indeed confirmed possible areas of cooperation that include:
- Areas of sugar milling and a pulping beneficiation
- Bio-fuel technologies.
- Solar energy technologies in line with the province’s green industries
- Opportunities for small South African farmers training in Indonesia and participation of the Mpumalanga business sector in the AGRINEX EXPO in March 2012.
The Executive Council endorsed the idea to explore possible cooperation, which should culminate into a visit by the Honorable Premier DD Mabuza to among other things sign a memorandum of understanding with the province of South Sumatra in Indonesia.
Study Visit To India
EXCO approved the names of the eight officials nominated by departments to participate in the India Technical and Economical Cooperation (ITEC) training programme for 2011/12 in India. The Department of Public Service and Administration (DPSA) requested provinces through the Office of the Premier to nominate eight officials to participate in training programmes offered in India.. The officials identified are from the Office of the Premier, DEDET, DARDLA and Social Development. The training will empower the officials to implement the Provincial Growth and Development Strategy.
Commemoration Of The Samora Machel Plane Crash
The EXCO expressed its support to the commemoration of the 25th anniversary of former Mozambican President Samora Machel plane crash at Mbuzini Mpumalanga. The commemoration is to take place on the 17th and 19th October 2011 at Mbuzini and Maputo respectively. The ceremony will be hosted by national Department of Arts and Culture.
Payment Of Service Providers Within 30 Days
The Executive Council endorsed the resolution of the recently held Presidential Coordinating Council (PCC) that calls on all government departments nationally and provincially to pay service providers within 30 days.
The Provincial Education Prayer Day
The Executive Council calls on all pastors, parents and citizens of Mpumalanga to support our beloved ‘Matric Class of 2011’ and the Department of Education by attending the provincial Prayer Day for our learners as they prepare for their final examinations that start on Monday October 17 2011. The Provincial Education Prayer Day will be held on Saturday October 15 2011 at Thulamahashe Stadium Bushbuckridge starting at 10.00am.
Issued by the Communication Chief Directorate, Office of the Premier, Mpumalanga Provincial Government