PREMIER REFILWE MTSHWENI-TSIPANE - SOCIAL MEDIA AND MEDIA REPORTS ABOUT MASK WEARING
25 January 2021
- I have noted social media and media reports revealing moments where I was walking around without a mask.
- I have since reflected deeply on this momentarily lapse, which I regret profusely.
- I wish to take this opportunity once again apologise to His Excellency, President Cyril Ramaphosa, the Deputy President of the Republic Mr David Mabuza, the Mthembu family, the people of Mpumalanga and the rest of the country.
- I should have known better as a public figure and more so attending a Covid-19 funeral.
- To this effect, I have deposited a statement of guilt at the Vosman Police Station in Emalahleni and where I accepted the necessary fine. Case number 314/01/2021.
- I have also written a letter to the president of the republic expressing my regret of the situation.
- To further demonstrate my remorse, I have bought a 1000 masks that will be distributed in Emalahleni as part of public education and awareness campaign to demonstrate the serious nature of COVID-19.
- I wish to take this opportunity to express my condolences to all the families who have lost their loved one to the pandemic. I also wish those who are currently struggling with the virus a speedy recovery.
- I have also taken a decision to go into isolation for a period of 14 days.
Issued by Sibongile Mkani-Mpolweni
Spokesperson: Mpumalanga Premier
Mpumalanga Provincial Government
Office of the Premier
Tel: (013) 766 2453
Mobile: 082 967 2138